Saturday, August 6, 2011

Blog Prompt 1: Patriotism

1) Why do you think National Service is important to Singapore?

I think that National Service (NS) is important to Singapore as it brings the nation’s men together to form bonds and at the same time protect our country. As seen in the Japanese Occupation, the presence of a local army is very important to the defence of our country. NS was brought up to solve this very problem by training men of age 18 and above for military exercises to protect our country. By having NS the nation can be safe and her people can have a sense of security that if something happens to Singapore, the young soldiers of Singapore would defend them to their grave. NS is also important to keep our people bonded as a nation as through the rigorous and intense training in NS the young gentlemen of Singapore would forge bonds that last a lifetime and also help solve the problem of racism as in NS, all races are treated equally

2) In the above poem, the speaker expresses his love for his country England. Do you have the same spirit for patriotism towards Singapore? Why?

I do not have this sense of patriotism towards Singapore. I think that many people of the same age as me are focused on their studies more than anything else and this makes us unable to find something for us to stand up for and protect, which is the reason behind such patriotism. As life goes on, one would gradually grow wiser and their roots also go deeper. Would I be a patriot when I get older? Frankly, I do not know myself. At this point of time I only look at the world through my small window of my own, which would expand through time, and this limitation of thoughts and lack of personal experience would mean that patriotism is unlikely to be found in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment